Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Family and Rice Pudding


My father loves rice puddings and my mother hates it. My mom always says that the only thing she remembers eating as a kid during WW2 is rice pudding and she never wants to eat it again. I think she also doesn't really consider rice pudding as a decent dessert. My father on the other side, loves it but, unfortunately he never ate it at home since my mother never makes it {*smile}.

I didn't have any opinion about that dessert (since I never ate it at home) until I came to Portugal. And here... it is typical and loved. Arroz Doce (rice pudding with cinnamon) is everywhere.

M. loves it, my kids also and I was still kind of neutral about that until, some days ago, when I made some caramel rice pudding with almond praline. Oh my... that was something! I made it for M. but, until he came home, I ate half of it. Creamy and crunchy in the same time... loved it! So... I am getting some opinion about this issue and you may find here some more variations in the future {*smile}.



Caramel Rice Pudding
Recipe Donna Hay
Serves 4


200g arborio rice
1l milk
220g superfine sugar
1 vanilla bean
125ml double cream

Place the rice, milk, half of the sugar and vanilla in a pan over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 min or until rice is tender.
Place the other half of sugar in a pan over low heat and cook for 8-10 min or until sugar is dissolved and golden. Stir the cream through the pudding and drizzle with the caramel to serve.


O meu pai adora pudins de arroz mas a minha mãe odeia. Ela diz que a única coisa que se lembra de comer quando era criança durante a 2ª Grande Guerra Mundial é pudim de arroz, por isso não quer comer novamente. Acho que ela também não acha o pudim de arroz uma sobremesa decente. O meu pai por outro lado adora mas, infelizmente, ele nunca o comeu em casa, pois minha mãe nunca o fez {*smile}.
Eu não tinha qualquer opinião sobre esta sobremesa (pois nunca tinha comido em casa), até chegar a Portugal. E aqui... é típico e adorado. Arroz Doce (pudim de arroz com canela) está em toda parte.

O M. adora, os meus filhos também e eu ainda estava um bocado neutra sobre isso até que, há alguns dias atrás, quando fiz alguns pudins de arroz de caramelo com praliné de amêndoa. Mmmmmm... tão bom! Fi-lo para o M., mas, até ele chegar a casa, comi metade. Cremoso e crocante ao mesmo tempo... adorei! Por isso... como comecei a ter alguma opinião sobre este assunto, podem encontrar aqui mais algumas variações no futuro {*smile}.


Pudim de Arroz de Caramelo
Receita Donna Hay
Serves 4


4 doses

200g de arroz arborio
1l de leite
220g de açúcar refinado
1 vagem de baunilha
125ml de creme de leite

Coloque o arroz, o leite, metade do açúcar e a baunilha numa panela com lume forte e deixe ferver. Reduza o fogo, tape e deixe cozinhar, mexendo ocasionalmente, durante 25-30 min ou até que o arroz estar macio.

Coloque a outra metade do açúcar numa panela em lume brando e deixe cozinhar durante 8-10 minutos ou até que o açúcar esteja dissolvido e dourado. Mexa o creme de leite pelo pudim e cubra com o caramelo para servir.


4 comments:

  1. I am one of those who don't like rice pudding, I never have :) However, being a food blogger I lately find myself alternating opinions and embracing food I didn't like before :) I gotta say I think you would win me over with this one, since it contains caramel, which I adore :) Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm this looks so fantastic, I love rice pudding! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vou levar a receita deste arroz doce, obrigado também pela partilha de tanta delicia, adorei o blog e fico seguidora,

    beijinhos!!

    ReplyDelete