Monday, December 12, 2011

Quince and Quinoa Pudding

Last Thursday was a Holiday here, and this was the last year that we are celebrating it. It was also my Sister's birthday and a day with a lot of fog in Lisbon.
I woke up earlier wanting to call my sister but I couldn't get her. I tried and tried and tried without success. And, what made things worst, was that I could speak with everybody else (hoping that she was near and I could speak to her), and not actually with her. In all that frustration we packed and went for a walk in the forest in Sintra. I knew that it would calm me down, I knew that walking through the forest, between the trees, feeling the cold air in my breath would help. I know that THAT space is magical, and we all felt it. We spoke about history and kids listened with their eyes wide open. And... finally I spoke with my sister. It felt so good to hear her voice and to wish her happy birthday.

On the way to the beach I stopped to buy some fresh quince from the ladies who were selling it by the road and, when we came back home, I wanted it immediately.

My grandmother use to put it everywhere in the house, and you would feel its smell as soon as you enter... I felt like I am back home with my sister and the rest of the family.

*****

Quinta-feira passada foi feriado aqui, e este foi o último ano em que o celebramos. Também foi o aniversário da minha Irmã e um dia com muito nevoeiro em Lisboa.
Acordei cedo pois queria falar com a minha Irmã, mas não consegui. Tentei e tentei e tentei, sem sucesso. E, o que fez as coisas piores, foi que consegui falar com todos (na esperança de ela estar por perto e poderia falar com ela), e não realmente com ela. No meio de toda esta frustração, fomos preparando as coisas para uma caminhada na floresta em Sintra. Eu sabia que iria acalmar-me, eu sabia que a caminhada através da floresta, entre as árvores, a sentir o ar frio na minha respiração iria ajudar. Sei que aquele espaço é mágico, e todos nós sentimos isso. Falamos sobre história e as crianças ouviram com os olhos bem abertos. E... finalmente falei com a minha irmã. Soube tão bem ouvir a sua voz e desejar-lhe um feliz aniversário.

No caminho para a praia, parei para comprar alguns marmelos frescos de umas senhoras que estavam a vender perto da estrada e, quando voltamos para casa, eu quis logo fazê-los.

A minha Avó costumava espalhá-los por toda aa casa, e sentiamos o seu cheiro assim que entravamos... Parecia que estava de volta, com a minha irmã e o resto da família.


Quince and Quinoa Pudding

Quinoa Pudding: I used Aran's recipe.

Quince: Peel and cut one quince. Put in the pan with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 ts of cinnamon. Add water to cover it.
Cook on medium heat until tender. Take a liquid out.

Assemble: In a small glass jars put a layer of quinoa pudding, and a layer of quince. Repeat while you have space.


2 comments:

  1. Quem tem uma irmã, tem tudo! :) E sim não há nada melhor que uma caminhada no silencio da floresta para apaziguar o espírito..
    A tua sugestão de hoje, esta belissima como sempre e a transportar-me os aromas Portugueses daí...
    boa semana*

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photographs sanda. a walk in the forest does wonders, i am glad you spoke to your sister.

    ReplyDelete